Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 02:01:45 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: installing a new snap

On Sun, 16 Apr 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> There is no good way.. :-( You're generally expected to install each
> snapshot completely from scratch.  That is how we do them here..

    Hrmmm... this is how I've been doing it for the past three
snapshots.

1. Bring the machine down into single user
2. Make a backup of /etc.
3. Mount the local mirror or FTP the bin.* files to /tmp.
4. chflag /kernel and appropriate files in /usr/lib.
5. cat /tmp/bin.* | tar -zxvvp --unlink -f -
6. Compile and install a new kernel
7. Check out /etc, merge old /etc.
8. Reboot.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org