Date:      Sun, 14 May 2017 23:23:05 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        gerald@freebsd.org, dbn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which wine do I need?

I see several different wine ports and would like to know which I need for amd64 and which I need for an i386 installation.

from David Naylor:

> On Saturday, 13 May 2017 08:16:55 Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > I see several different wine ports and would like to know which I need for
> > amd64 and which I need for an i386 installation.

> > I don't really want i386-wine as such, since I would install wine on i386
> > and could then mount this partition at /compat/i386 to run from amd64,
> > while retaining the ability to run from straight i386.

> This is effectively what i386-wine does: it bundles the required 32-bit
> libraries from a i386 host/environment and packages them such that they can
> run on an amd64 machine.

> > Am I correct that I would build wine (or wine-devel) on i386 and then
> > install wine or wine-devel on amd64?

> Correct, you should use the same port for both i386 and amd64, however if you
> are running Windows programs from /compat/i386 then there is no need to
> install wine on the amd64 host (unless you want to run 64-bit programs).

> > Am I better off doing this on FreeBSD 11-STABLE or on 12-HEAD?

> Normally CURRENT doesn't cause issues with wine, however STABLE will more,
> well, more stable.  I wouldn't base the decision of CURRENT/STABLE on whats
> best for Wine.  We do, however, need more people to test CURRENT.

My thought for building FreeBSD 11-STABLE for i386 is being better able to run wine from amd64, either HEAD or STABLE.

I think there might be problems using wine on i386 HEAD from 11-STABLE amd64?

Tom