Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:47:57 -0400
From:      "Wes Morgan" <wmorgan@DataBeam.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MIT-SHM?

> From: HuangMin(Tunny) <hmin@public.cq.sc.cn>
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2, and I got some distributions of XF8633.
> When I start X, it said " MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of
> kernel support , ..........non-present SYSVSHM ", and no xterm run
> on X screen. What's MIT-SHM and SYSVSHM, can anyone answer me and
> help me solve this problem. thanks

There are three "System V compatibility" options in the FreeBSD kernel:
    - SYSVSHM implements the System V shared memory facility,
    - SYSVSEM implements the System V semaphore facility, and
    - SYSVMSG implements the System V message queue facility.
You can enable these by including the following lines in your kernel:
	options SYSVSHM
	options SYSVSEM
	options SYSVMSG
and rebuilding.  Check the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT file for explanations of
other options;
there are *many* options not included in the generic kernel.

--Wes