Date:      06 Sep 1997 17:05:48 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   make world failing at ppp install (again)

On 01 Sep, my make world (2.2-stable) failed installing /usr/sbin/ppp
because the program was supposed to belong to an until then
nonexistant ppp group.  So I found out what needed to be added to my
/etc/group, fixed it and did a make installworld.  I also posted a
note to this list mentioning the issue and suggesting that some notice
of this sort of change would be nice, in an obvious place (like
/usr/src/README or this list).

Today, 06 Sep, make world failed again.  It appears that ppp now wants
to be owned by the network group, which seems to be the ppp group with
a new name (same group ID).  Same solution, just edit /etc/group
again.

I subscribed to this list under the impression that this was where
information about this sort of change was going to appear.  I suppose
that it is, but it would be nice if the 'brian' who is working on ppp
would post it instead of me.
--
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.