Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        "Jack T. Hsieh" <jhsieh@1connect.com>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Web based email

> Hello,
> I'm try to implement a web based email interface so that people can
> check their emails no matter where they are ( something like hotmail ) .
>
> Could someone give me some hints on how to do that? or where can I find
> the resourses for that? should that be done by CGI or what?
> Thanks!

Wouldn't it just be easier to install an IMAP server and let them
access that from anywhere?  If they have access to Communicator
(Netscape 4), they have an IMAP-capable mail reader.  (There are
a few others available for unix; and several for MS-Win* or Mac.)

Personally, I prefer the Cyrus server over the imap-uw version
because Cyrus runs as a non-privileged user. OTOH, it requires
IMAP or POP3 acces because it doesn't deliver into the traditional
unix mailboxes.  Both servers are available in the ports collection.

-Pat