Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:42:34 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bad Network Config? - Mail Refused

I'm at a loss as to where to look next.  I'm running Postfix on my
mail server and it accepts mail from everywhere (AFAIK) except my
firewall.  Both the mail server and firewall are running 4.4 FBSD.
The firewall is using the default Sendmail.  Postfix was built from
ports about two weeks ago  (I can't seem to locate the command to show
the version).

While I was building the firewall, my network was configured as such:

        ISP

         | IP is DHCP

  ADSL Modem/Router (provides DNS & NAT)

         |192.168.1.1

   -----------------
   |               |
Firewall        Server
192.168.1.2     192.168.1.4

On the firewall, I setup an alias to forward all root mail to my
account on the mail server.  In this config, mail was passed
correctly.  Once the firewall was configured, I plugged in it's second
network card and now my network layout is like this:

        ISP

         | IP is DHCP

  ADSL Modem/Router (still provides DNS & NAT)
         |192.168.10.1
         |
         |192.168.10.2
      Firewall

         |192.168.1.2

      Server 192.168.1.4

But now mail is "refused" from the firewall as shown in this command:

blacksheep# echo testing | sendmail -v
Recipient names must be specified
blacksheep# echo testing | sendmail -v drew@mykitchentable.net
drew@mykitchentable.net... Connecting to blacklamb.mykitchentable.net.
via esmtp

And this entry in the firewall mail log:

Oct 12 05:51:15 blacksheep sendmail[5877]: f9CCpEF05877:
to=drew@mykitchentable.net, ctladdr=tomlinson_dr (1000/0),
delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=esmtp, pri=30008,
relay=blacklamb.mykitchentable.net. [207.173.226.116],
dsn=4.0.0,stat=Deferred: Connection refused by
blacklamb.mykitchentable.net.

However, blacklamb.mykitchentable.net is reachable from the firewall:

blacksheep# ping blacklamb.mykitchentable.net
PING blacklamb (192.168.1.4): 56 data bytes

Yet another interesting piece is that there are no corresponding
entries in the mail log on the mail server.  Thus I wonder where the
firewall is actually attempting to send my mail?  What can I do next
to track down this problem?  I may have missed something pretty basic
as all of this is new to me.  So please feel free to point out that
which may be obvious to most.

Thanks for any assistance,

Drew