Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 13:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > How does the ports system fail?
> >
> > Packages don't need sources.  They are the moral equivalent to
>
> We're not talking about packages here - we're talking about
> sources.

I addressed the source issue.

To repeat what I said before, but in brief to reduce the
temptation to skip-over it,

packages are used to install binary things just as sysinstall
can install a binary-only system w/o sources

when wanting source and binary pkgadd is followed by make
extract

make world checks /var/db/pkg for ports that need to be
remaked

I'm not volunteering to write this and the number of other
extensions needed, since I think slow, evolutionary change is
what is needed and I can't make a longterm commitment right now,
but I am trying to show that the idea is not so undoable as you
(seem to) try to make it sound.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk