Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:00:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Nathaniel Adkins <nma@quokka.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: files for cd

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Nathaniel Adkins wrote:

> I'd like to download and create my own personal cd's to intall FreeBSD at
> home.  Which files do I download?  I've downloaded a little over a gig of
> files and have noticed that the packages distribution is 677 megs, 27 over
> the limit for a cd.

You need the distributions you want to be able to install.  Obviously bin/
is required, and you probably want floppies/ and tools/ for a
one-stop-shop.

You grabbed the packages too?  Yes, the packages distribution is split
over two cds; I think xemacs and ob-something is put on CD 3 in the WC
CDROM.

> I think it would help greatly if you put a notice up of the proper files
> for a CD install since we who have access to a cd burner would be happy to
> create our own.  And, at under $500 for the hardware, the list of persons
> with that capability grows larger every day!

I expect to see copy protection resume on commercial software very soon.