Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:40:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        MrK1nt@aol.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports

> > Im really new to FreeBSD/Unix. I just want to get it up and running, connected to the net, etc.
>
> I can get it up and running, and connected to the net, without using any
> ports. If you're looking for a desktop system, it will be kind of sparse
> and boring, but if you just want a server, then it will be sufficient.

Maybe you want email and webbrowsing and news, so pine, lynx, tin with
leafnode. Apache to have an own webserver.

KDE is a windozish desktop, you dont need it, it is confusing.
twm, that is the default when you install X, is all you need to run things
like xv, basic image manipulation, or gimp, or netscape.

Good luck !

H.