Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:03:01 +0200
From:      Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   pccard woes

Hi all

I've got a weird one (although no doubt I'm just doing something dumb).

I have a Compaq Presario 1700 laptop, with a 3Com OfficeConnect PCMCIA
card (3c572).

I have two HDDs. The one is an 18Gb drive that used to live in a
different laptop. It contains FreeBSD 4-S, last cvsupped about three
months ago. If I use this drive, the PCMCIA card is detected and works.

The other drive is a 10Gb drive that has FreeBSD 4-S cvsupped a few days
back. The kernel config file is identical to the older one, and so is
the pccard.conf file. The relevant device should be "ep".

With this drive installed, the network card doesn't work. If I run
pccardd with -d and -v options, I see:

Read returns -1 bytes (expected 2)
pccardd: CIS code read: Device not configured
Read returns -1 bytes (expected 10)
No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")

The weird thing is that this used to work - that was how I did the cvsup
the other day. The problem isn't hardware; the same card in the same
laptop works fine if I boot MS-Windows.

I must be missing something; what is it??

thanks
gram