Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:02:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Marcelo <bsdq@stgo.cl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

it's generally frowned upon because of partition needs..

for example: something could cause the /var/ partition to fill up, which
wouldn't normally be a "bad thing" - at least, not to bad - but, if
there's nothing to keep it from filling the entire disk (you might not
notice for some reason), there's a potential problem of it crashing the
machine, or preventing logins.

and yes, it IS an 8 gig disk, then again, i've seen those get filled in a
matter of hours by bad log messages, while the box is unattended.

-- jan

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Marcelo wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an 8 gig drive. 500m are swap since I have 256 in RAM.
> The rest is all mounted on /
> Is that bad?
> I was critized by a peer for not having split up the drive and mount
> individual partitions into  /usr /var etc..
>
> But since the server will not be used by anyone (webserver and webmail) I
> am not concerned about users taking up space since they aren't any.
>
> But in general what is the rule of thumb on this? are there any speed
> advantages to having seperat partitions?
>
> thanks for your input,
> Marcelo

  email: jan[at]caustic.org   web: http://www.caustic.org/~jan
   "knowledge is power. power corrupts. study hard, be evil."