Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:19:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <pirzyk@pirzyk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: XFree86 on a DS10

Jim Pirzyk writes:
 > > Don't run -probeonly.  Alphas don't like their PCI buses blindly
 > > groped at.  Just setup a conservative XFree86 config file via the text
 > > based setup and go from there.
 >
 > So I ran startx and it still hung the system.  Is there a way to
 > disable the PCI probe module from being executed?

Specifiy a BusID for your card.

Use pciconf -lv to get this info

Eg,
	"PCI:0:17:0"

Fred does have a very good point.  I think that the ATI cards
present some problems for bios emulation.  I really think you
should try a glint/permedia based card.

 > I also am wondering if this problem is related to the floppy disk
 > not working on some systems (but it does work in mine, but I think
 > that is related to the amount of memory in the system).

Totally orthogonal.  But I'd like to get that fixed too.  Its a bug in
how we setup Scatter/Gather DMA on tsunami.  Its my bug, I wrote that
code.  But I"m damned if I see what I did wrong.

Can you get me remote access to your machine? (and a serial console
would be handy too).

Drew