Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 07:02:37 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Chroot'ed ftpd / Users with home directory not under /home

I want to use the chroot'ed feature of ftpd to give a user control by ftp
of a portion of a web tree, while restricting them from seeing/changing
anything else on the server by ftp.

I can do this by creating a new user with the home directory set to their
root point in the web tree. I have disabled telnet access to the account.

My question is, is this an acceptable procedure? Are there any
consequences to creating users with home directory not under /home?

I'm assuming I can omit all the dot files.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna