Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:40:02 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Related Q: (was) Re: Newbie question

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:23:57AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:59:25AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >=20
> > It sounds to me as if your new machine has hardware which is supported
> > under 5.x but not 4.9.  That's a very good reason to install 5.2 --
> > caveats about "early adopters" notwithstanding, by all accounts 5.2 is
> > turning out nicely.  I'd worry about using it for a system that was
> > mission critical to a business (read: financial consequences if it
> > isn't up and running), but for a home system I think it would do very
> > well.
> >=20
>=20
> 	I'm going toput 5.2 on my new DNS server; but from scratch.
> 	SWondering how dificult it is to upgrade from 4.[78] to 5.[latest].
> 	Is the UPGRADING file suffieient?  I've heard the 5.X is the
> 	cat's meow....

UPGRADING should be sufficient if you are an experienced user.
However, you will miss out on the ability to do various things, like
create UFS2 filesystems or repartition your drives -- the shared root
feature makes quite a difference.  I think a wipe and re-install is
generally a good idea over a major version bump, but if you can't do
that, then update in place is the next best thing.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way