Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 23:40:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        leopapan@interax.net (leo papandreou)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLIP: Is this what they mean by Point-to-Point?

leo papandreou stands accused of saying:

> For both boxes:
> 	<hosts>
> 	205.205.16.1   bart.rur.com                             bart
> 	205.205.16.2   lisa.rur.com             www.rur.com     lisa
> 	199.202.234.1  interlink.net            slip-gateway
> 	199.202.234.53 G338.257.interlink.net   slip-modemIP

It looks like your provider has a route to you in place; this is a good
start 8)

> and for bart they are the same except for:
> 	network_interfaces="de0 lo0"
> 	ifconfig_de0="inet 205.205.16.1 netmask 0xffffff00"
> 	defaultrouter=NO

Here's your error; bart should have lisa as a default router.  It's trying
to arp on the local ethernet for a nonlocal host.

> Both machines boot fine. On lisa I kermit to my provider, suspend
> kermit and slattach -a -h -s 115200 /dev/cuaa1 and everything works:

Don't suspend kermit, disable DTR hangup on the modem and exit it.

> Then i start to play with the route command on bart in an attempt
> to give him a default route. To lisa? No. To slip-modemIP? No. To
> slip-gateway? No.

You should set it to lisa.  You should also make sure that IP forwarding
is on in lisa's kernel; this may also be a problem.

either   options GATEWAY in your kernel config, or

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

at boot time.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[