Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 2009 16:16:04 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which port for this job?

Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:01:22 EST Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>  wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>>> inkscape if you want something point'n'click to draw with.
>>>
>>> graphviz if you hate the idea of point'n'click.
>> Well, actually, I'm after a UML designer, but it has some special needs for me:
>> it has to understand python's arch (not just java, as most do).  I've found a
>> couple that go that far, but unbelieveably enough, they won't print...
>> klassmodeler was a big disappointment like that.  Dia actually printed it's
>> output, but the authors were so proud of their ability to print huge mosaics
>> made up of bunches of 8.5x11 sheets that they offer no options to get it all
>> into one sheet, even when it s just not all that complicated.
>
> Googling about this problem reveals
>     http://projects.gnome.org/dia/faq.html#FitToPage
> Did you try it?
>
> I have used tgif, xfig, inkscape, dia etc. in the past.
> Generally they can all be made to do what you want but you
> have to spend time learning the tool.

Well, yes, I went thru that page before sending the email to the ports list.
Here, I was trying (if possible) to choose a port.  Looks like a lot of the
ports, besides having packages which do the exact same thing scattered over
multiple directories, nearly everything I found had one or more problems with it.

I haven't yet been able to test all the ones I put on my candidate list (several
infrastructure software build faults) but of all I  have found, it seems like
the Java app "Violet" is the best for me.  Ah, well, it's not perfect, but it
works, it prints without coredumping, and delivers reasonable images.  AND it
doesn't force me to think Java when I'm designing a python app (that's highly
confusing).