Date:      Sun,  3 Dec 1995 01:31:28 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Subject:   Re: Minor change to make

In message <199512022025.UAA14567@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>> In message <199512021742.RAA14346@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
>>     writes:
>>
>> >I want make to silently ignore a failure to find a .include file. The
>> >reason I want this is because in the next release of X imake will generate
>> >Makefiles that can use include files for dependencies if the system's make
>> >supports it.
>>
>> >+ #if WANT_FATAL_INCLUDE_FAILURE
>> >        Parse_Error (PARSE_FATAL, "Could not find %s", file);
>> >+ #endif
>>
>> Why not simple change PARSE_FATAL to PARSE_WARNING?
>> I.e. this diagnostic prints (to help detect wrong includes),
>> but it will be non-fatal.

>Humbug. I don't want a build log filled with (more) nonsense warnings;
>I've already got enough of those as it is.

>It could emit a warning if make is run with "-d i" or something. Would
>that make everyone happy?

Default case must produce diagnostic. Our system
Makefiles very depends on .included parts and can acts undetectable
different when some parts are missing by typing error f.e.

I have nothing against adding commandline option to _disable_ error
or .sinclude as you originally suggest or something like
.IGNORE_INCLUDES:
target (I prefer this solution).

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -