Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:17:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        frankd@yoda.fdt.net (Frank Seltzer)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad file number errors fram Xview

> I just added the workman package via FTP pkg_add along with xview-lib and
> xview-config from the 2.2.2 packages directory.
>
> The first time workman ran, I got these error at the console. Soes anyone
> know what they mean?
>
> 	XView warning: Notifier error: Bad file number
> 	XView warning: Notifier error: Bad file number
> 	XView warning: Notifier error: Bad file number
> 	XView warning: Notifier error: Bad file number
> 	XView warning: Notifier error: Bad file number
> 	XView warning: Notifier error: Bad file number
> 	Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> I used to get the same errors from ftptool after installing 2.2.2, but I
> thought ftptool was the problem as it had not been upgraded for so long. I
> would like to be able to run both of these apps so any help is much
> appreciated.

Yesterday I've seen the same error messages after I tried to run
an application that uses the xview-lib package. This is on -current,
the package is from the 2.2.1 CD.  I checked out the corresponding
port and rebuilt the xview-package, and everthing worked fine.

So do a cd /usr/ports/x11/xview-lib and make all .  Recompiling
the xview library may take an hour or so.  Then delete your already
installed faulty xview packages. (pkg_delete xview-config-3.2.1 and
pkg_delete xview-lib-3.2.1) and finally do a make install, and
restart your application.  If this works please let me know, we
should fill out a send-pr sheet.

Wolfgang