Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:27:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Overridable commands in bsd.port.mk

I've started building a system with LOCALBASE changed (to /usr/opt, if
anyone cares), and expect to be submitting patches for makefiles that
have improper dependencies on /usr/local in them.

The first one is strange. bsd.port.mk includes a set of commands
(LIBTOOL was the one that tripped me up) that it expects to be in the
path. The shell startup files in /root (/root/.profile, /root/.cshrc)
includes /usr/local directories in the default path. This means that
in the default environment, some misc. set of makes break if you
change LOCALBASE (unless the tools in question are already installed
in /usr/local, that is - which seems to be cheating).

This just seems wrong to me - things should build under those
conditions. However, the workaround is easy (fix your path), and the
obvious fix to bsd.port.mk - change those commands to
${LOCALBASE}/command - doesn't work for libtool, as bsd.port.mk uses
"which ${LIBTOOL} to find ${LOCALBASE}/share/libtool. There's also a
downside to this change - you lose the ability to try a different set
of these tools by changing your path, instead having to change them
one at a time.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a bug, or is worth fixing if it does,
so I thought I'd ask about it.

	<mike