Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 2016 22:14:18 -0500
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rubygem .js files fubar?

Hi,

On 01/17/16 10:29 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 17/01/2016 06:33, Steve Wills wrote:
>> On 01/17/16 12:57 AM, Steve Wills wrote:
>>>
>>> As for why the original file isn't deleted, I'm not sure. I don't see
>>> this in my local tree, but I have some changes that may be masking it.
>>>

>> Oh, I wasn't seeing it because I was testing with Ruby 2.1 and it only
>> happens with Ruby 2.2 (and presumably 2.3). I'll look into that.
>
> Yes, this is with ruby-2.2.x -- sorry, should have mentioned that.
>
> There seems to be a lot of duplicated files installed, some in both
> compressed and uncompressed forms:

This is a gem issue really. It enables running "gem server" and getting
a web server with browse-able docs for all your gems. The fact that it
duplicates some of the bits is a side effect of how the templates work.
Some folks find it nice for development. It's not so useful for servers.
You could complain to upstream. You could also add this to make.conf:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/*rubygem-*}
OPTIONS_UNSET=  DOCS
.endif

A patch to make DOCS default to off for all gems would be interesting.

Steve