Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 13:58:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Startup/shutdown scripts.

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> You should have a look at http://people.freebsd.org/~eivind/newrc.html
> before you conclude that this is a trivial issue.

Interesting stuff. Goes further than my requirements (I just did it myself,
then concluded it was trivial :-)

Had a look at that page, though, and there were some interesting points
raised. (Personally, I'm a fan of the sysV runlevel system.)

I'm not entirely convinced that points (1) "It should be easy for an
administrator to get an overview of what is started and in what
order" and the dependency-based topological sort are not diametrically
opposed.

I've often thought the latter would be nice (providing the "normalised
service descriptions" are human-readable) but I'm not completely
conviced that building startup scripts off the back of make is really
desirable.

So in rebuttal:

I keep on hearing that FBSD expects a bit of savvy (in so many
words) from its users. Certainly I'd expect it of an admin. The
rc?.d/[SK]* idiom from sysV seems to be a useful piece of functionality
(easy to manage with obvious gains); service dependencies must be sorted
out by the admin, admittedly, but I'd expect an admin installing a
startup script to have READ THE DOCUMENTATION and to have a good idea of
how said service will interact with the rest of his system. chkconfig is
admittedly very handy too. A full topological sort of services on
startup smacks of feeping creaturism.

jan

PS. Once again the sigmonster strikes :-)

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
If it's broken really badly - don't fix it either.