Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 10:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
Cc:        "(ML) FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2 ethernets: subnetting, routing, etc...

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Troy Settle wrote:
> ed1 is configured as xxx.yyy.zzz.6/24  (with several aliases)

This address is meaningless and makes it hard to determine what
you are trying to do.  xxx.yyy.6/24 would mean something BTW

> ed2 is configured as xxx.yyy.zzz.65/29 (link to the second ethernet)

Does xxx.yyy.zzz represent the same set of octets in both cases?

> >From the box in question, I can ping both addresses.  By setting a static
> route on another box, I can ping .65.  Reading through the man page for
> routed and the docs for gated, I'm more lost than I was before.  For some
> reason, it's just not making any sense to me.

First you need to explain why you think you need to run a routing
daemon.  What is wrong with the static route?

I suspect you are just having trouble reaching the .6 address(es ?) from
the second ethernet.  Turn on forwarding on the machine with two interfaces.
In /etc/{sysconfig|rc.conf} set gateway=YES

If you really need to propogate routing information about the addresses
on ed1 just run routed -s (or simply routed, -s is the default mode
when there is more than one interface).

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com