Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 11:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Van Baalen <vansax@mail.websidestory.com>
To:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Appropriate 100bt NIC for NFS

>From what I can tell thus far, the 3c905 only has 4k buffer on board. Thus,
it does not handle 8k fragmented nfs packets well. Based on suggestions I
installed the Intel EE card on our primary server this morning. So far it
is much happier. I have used the hack that you mentioned. I believe that
it will decrease NFS performance somewhat on a card that can handle 8k
packets, but will greatly increase performance on a card that can't. If
you want to increase your nfs read/write sizes you will need to replace
your NIC cards (as I mentioned above, in our case, just replacing the card
on the server seemed to make a big difference).

Jim