Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:38:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd2@grant.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading and removing old files

> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:08:51 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Michael Grant wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any good ways to find and remove old files after
> > updating from source?  (for example executables or libs which
> > have either gone away or changed names).
>
> 	I generally go into the directory I want to clean up and do an ls -l to
> determine the date which I did the last update, then do 'ls -l | grep -v
> 'date'' and move anything that isn't the right date to an Old/ directory.
> Periodically I rm -r the Old directory after I'm sure everything is still
> working.

You might want to look at cvsupchk which is a part of the cvsup
package. It's in the installation tree in
/usr/ports/net/cvsup/work/cvsup-snap-16.1e/contrib, but i not
installed. (If you do a 'make clean', you will need to do a 'make
extract' to get the files back. It is written in python, so the python
port must be installed.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)