Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 21:36:29 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Bruce Ferrell <bferrell@baywinds.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXEBOOT based upgrade/install

Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm new in these parts, but not new to *nix.  I'm trying to upgrade a
> system with FreeBSD 5.4 to 7.2.
>
> I've gotten the pxeboot to work, but somehow the network interface isn't
> seen by the installer.
>
> loader.rc:
> ===========
> include /boot/loader.4th
> include /boot/beastie.4th
>
> \ Reads and processes loader.conf variables
> start
>
> load /boot/kernel/kernel
> load -t mfs_root /boot/mfsroot
> set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
> boot
>
> loader.conf:
> ============
> mfsroot_load="YES"
> mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
> mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"
> if_bge_load="yes"
>
> I added the if_bge line at that seems to be the module used on 5.4.
>
> Any other leads?

I wrote a guide years ago, it hasn't been updated since 6.2, but for
this stage I don't think there are any changes.

http://www.locolomo.org/pub/pxeboot/index.html

It also explains how to build your own custom mfsroot.

Does the kernel support tftp and/or nfs? is your mfsroot actually
fetched from the server?

BR, Erik

--
Erik Nørgaard