Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:54:42 -0400
From:      "David Nixon" <david.nixon@mantech.com>
To:        <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Attachments request -OOOOOPS

I am replying to both e-mails (second appended to tail) you sent because =
it is pointless to write the same e-mail response twice.

You were sooooo close but you miss some important academic research.

The first being that this is not a Talk session.  That invalidates your =
first reference to RFC 1855.
Your second e-mail was close but you missed the Introduction to RFC 1855.  =
I shall quote the relevant line.

"In order to bring these new users into the Internet culture quickly, this =
Guide offers a minimum set of behaviors which organizations and individuals=
 may take and adapt for their own use."

I want to draw your attention to one very important word in that sentence: =
*may*.  If you had done your research then you would have also looked up =
RFC 2119 "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels".  You =
might have done well to look up the definition to *may* and the adjective =
it equates.  Please note that RFC 2119 is also BCP 14.  BCP's are a little =
further up the totem pole than the informational purposes of RFC's.  You =
also have STD's and FYI's.  Note that RFC 1855 is FYI 28.

Now back to your first e-mail.  I mentioned the setting for vi in response =
to Chad R. Larson's e-mail.  He specifically mentioned that he used vi for =
e-mail in a previous e-mail.  If you go back and reread his message then =
you might realize why I mentioned it.  I honestly ask, does Chad Larson =
change that setting for e-mail then change it back for other vi uses?  If =
not, then he and everyone else who does not format their text at less that =
65 characters are guilty of violating RFC 1855 (as you have quoted this =
group).

Oh wait a minute, this just in.  The lab has just come back with it's =
analysis.

multiple columns just for fun?  Anyway, read this extract from RFC 1855 =
and

Count the splats.  This line appears in Ben Smithurst's message below.  =
How many characters per line?
Hypocritical.....  Welcome to the guilty.

David A. Nixon
Network Security Engineer
ManTech International Corp.   www.ManTech.com

David Nixon wrote:

> Oh, a pissing contest.

Yes, you do seem to have started one, unfornately.  Do try not to do it
again.

> Inserting hard carriage returns at every 80 characters (right hand
> margin) is neither a standard nor a requirement.

Sigh.  Who said it was either?  It's just common sense.  Shorter lines
are easier to read.  Do you think newspapers print their articles in
multiple columns just for fun?  Anyway, read this extract from RFC 1855 =
and
shut up:

    - Don't run off the end of a line and simply let the terminal wrap;
      use a Carriage Return (CR) at the end of the line.  Also, don't
      assume your screen size is the same as everyone else's.  A good
      rule of thumb is to write out no more than 70 characters, and no
      more than 12 lines (since you're using a split screen).

Is that good enough?

> Be kind enough to explain to me why vi has set as a default NOT to
> insert carriage returns at the right margin.

Vi is used for things other than writing mail, did that ever occur to
you?  Line wrapping in configuration files and such is a pain.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D

__________<Second Message>___________
>     - Don't run off the end of a line and simply let the terminal wrap;
>       use a Carriage Return (CR) at the end of the line.  Also, don't

oops, that bit's about "talk", not mail.  That's what you get for
searching for "wrap" on not checking context.  There is similar advice
about mail though:

    - Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
      with a carriage return.