Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:53:16 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plans for 6-CURRENT and 5-STABLE

--nextPart1102097.YEOH9uDcCj

On Monday 18 October 2004 06:31, stheg olloydson wrote:
> it was said by Max Laier on 17.10.04:
> >There are some FreeBSD specific things that need improvement and clean
> >up. This is the first task that I will work on in 6-CURRENT starting
> >from now.
> >
> >Most prominently this includes the interface handling. There are some
> >open problems to be addressed, such as the inability to recognize
> >renamed interfaces as well as problems around 6to4.
>
> Does this include improvements in bridging? I saw your comments in a
> FBSD's bridging support are needed to enable use of all of pf's
> features. While I am not using bridging now, I will need to set it up
> in six months or so.

No. Bridgeing is a completely different story. I'd welcome an import of=20
if_bridge from Net/OpenBSD, but I will not have time to persue this. There=
=20
was an effort to do so, but - unfortunately - I lost track of it. People=20
interested should find it in the -current or -net archives.

> >Another big thing on the plate now, is a shared/exclusive lock semantic =
for=20
> >the ruleset evaluation. This will not only speed things up by quite a bi=
t,=20
> >but will also resolve the requirement to run with mpsafenet=3D0 if one w=
ants=20
> >to use user/group based filter rules.  =20
>
> How badly does this impact now? This is a feature I have been looking
> forward to using.

Largely depends on your workload, hardware and so forth. If you have - for=
=20
example - a fairly heavy loaded MySQL on a 4way Xeon box, you'd want to run=
=20
with mpsafenet=3D1 (and hence avoid using user/group rules). On an UP box i=
t=20
should not matter.

> >All these projects will be merged into 5-STABLE once they have proven in=
=20
> >HEAD.=20
>
> Will they be merged to 5-RELEASE, as well? I prefer not to track
> STABLE.

There is no such thing as 5-RELEASE. RELENG_5_3 (which you might be confusi=
ng=20
here) is solely for merging security fixes. All other changes go to RELENG_=
5=20
(aka 5-STABLE) and become part of the *next* release.

> > Thanks for reading so far, please let me know your thoughts, concerns a=
nd=20
> > questions.
>
> You're welcome. And thank you for your efforts in bring pf over from
> OpenBSD! One final question: Considering the inevitable loss of sync
> with the OBSD version, is separate FreeBSD-centric documentation
> planned? I ask because currently all docs are done by OBSD people, as
> far as I can tell. (I'd be willing to try my hand at this if someone
> doesn't mind my asking a lot of questions.)

The firewall chapter of the Handbook is being revised to give some informat=
ion=20
about PF as well. This will link to the OpenBSD PF-FAQ - an extra ordinary=
=20
piece of documentation - for now. Depending on "how bad" we diverge from=20
OpenBSD we will either maintain our own version of the FAQ or (more likely)=
=20
describe the "delta" between Open- and FreeBSD's PF in the handbook's=20
firewall chapter and continue to reference the FAQ. At the moment the=20
difference between OpenBSD 3.5 PF and FreeBSD 5.3 PF is negligible.

But of course, you are more than welcome to read the existing documentation=
,=20
to identify problems and differences and eventually provide solutions. Aski=
ng=20
questions is not a problem either.

=2D-=20