Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:46:15 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Mike G." <mike_garcia_m3@yahoo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Support for Mitsumi FX4831 CD-ROM

> Hello,
> I'm really wanting to upgrade from windows to FreeBSD and am
> going through the supported hardware section.  I have a Mitsumi
> FX4831 CD-ROM and am curious if this is supported by FreeBSD.
>
> The Supported Hardware section of the FreeBSD Handbook says,
>
> " Unmaintained drivers, which might or might not work for your
> hardware:
>   Floppy tape interface (Colorado/Mountain/Insight)
>   mcd - Mitsumi proprietary CD-ROM interface (all models) "
>
> So I'm hoping that I can perform the install because I'll need
> the cdrom in order to install from my FreeBSD cd's.  Are there
> any issues with Mitsumi Cd-rom's that I should be aware of?

Unless it is a VERY old CDROM drive (i.e. pre-quad speed days, you know the
ones that needed to plug into a sound card or a separate interface card,
rather than the motherboard IDE ports), it will work fine as a standard
ATAPI IDE CDROM.

I believe the mcd driver is for one of these old interface cards, used with
I presume Mitsumi drives, way back whenever.

Hope this helps,
Mark