Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:59:52 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8mm tape drive performance in -current?

On Feb 18, 15:55, Bob Willcox wrote:
} Subject: Exabyte 8mm tape drive performance in -current?
} I have observed that the (read and write) performance of my 8mm
} Exabyte tape drives on my -current system runs roughly half of what
} it is on my 2.1-stable systems (100kb/sec vs. 200kb/sec).  This is
} with both the NCR 810 and Adaptec 2940 adapters and using programs
} such as dump, tar, dd, team.  The systems that I have compared have
} roughly the same hardware (both are 100MHz Pentiums).  Performance
} on my Wangtek QIC-525 tape drive is about the same.  Can anybody
} offer up an explaination of why this is and what might be done to
} fix it?

Did you compare the output of "mt status" ?
The EXABYTE drives are known to become very
slow if used with an unsuitable blocksize.
Make sure you don't use 512 byte fixed size
blocks with -current ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160