Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:35:27 -0500
From:      "dave" <dmehler22@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   urgent! Root path problem.

Hello,
    I've just done a reinstall of fbsd 3.4-release. I'm having a rather
annoying and recurring problem. I boot the machine log in and can do all of
root's normal activities, dmesg, ppp, ping, etc. My first problem was when I
pinged anything I got the message:
sendto: permission denied.
    So, I installed dns on my machine, rebooted, and now something has
happened to my path. I no longer have access to dmesg, ppp, ping, halt,
shutdown, reboot, and perhaps many others. I do not have any /sbin
anything's in my path, and I did not alter it.
    I'd like to know first of all where path environments are set for root
so I can try to fix this problem? Secondly, has anyone else experienced this
problem, I don't want to do a third reinstall only to find this problem
comes back 5 minutes later. And, if anyone would know a possible cause.
Thanks.
Dave.