Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:11:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        "Paul H." <paulh@testlabs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel failed

Hi,

>     I was hoping you could give me a little help with rebuilding
> kernels. I tried several times without any success. When I compile it
> runs for about 10 minutes and then gets an error #1 and stops.

We need more info than this.  What is the error here (not just #1 - what
does it say)?

> I tried running the generic kernel, just to see if it would work, it
> didn't not sure if that means anything. Can I rebuild the kernel when
> I'm in Xwindow?

Yes you can rebuild in X - I do it all the time.  Did you follow the
Handbook's guide to rebuilding the kernel?  I assume "running the generic
kernel" means you tried to build LINT.

Give us some more info - when did it die - in the config, make, make
install?  What is the exact error?

Brett
Brett Taylor 		brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a light
bulb? Zero. They declared Darkness[tm] the standard.