Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:05:18 -0500
From:      GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySQL or Postgresql on FreeBSD, have I just started a holy war?

Hello,

I'm a PostgreSQL person so take all my comments with that in mind.

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002 03:06:37 -0700
Mailing Lists <lists@imagefoundation.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just been getting ready to start serious MySQL development on a
> Dual Processor FreeBSD box and I stumbled across the following blog
> entry on the web today which has me thinking:
>
> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html#000203
>
> The coles notes version is that the author, who seems to have some
> chops in both MySQL and FreeBSD (looks like he's a sysadmin at Yahoo,
> hi if you're out there Jeremy), has come across some issues with
> threading and smp support while using MySQL & FreeBSD. Now, of course,
> he doesn't mention is the machines where these issues come up are super
> high traffic or not, so this may be all moot if you're not running say,
> Yahoo!

For the kind of traffic your talking about, either system (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
would work just fine.

> I'm still a babe in the woods when it comes to MySQL, but I'm
> redeveloping several databases that I did some time ago in a
> proprietary database solution (4D) and I'll be damned if I'm going to
> redo these things again any time soon, so I'd like to know that I've
> made the right choice of DB & Platform. I've been really happy with 4D
> overall, but need to have more connectivity options, hence the move.

Everything being about equal at this point for you, look at the available
features.  Do you use subselects, procedures, triggers, FK or transactions?

Yes, I know that the latest development versions of MySQL support FK and
transactions, but in this case you loose hot backups (ie when the server is up)
unless your willing to pay for the util.

> There must be a ton of people running MySQL on FreeBSD, so my first
> question is, are the issues raised here ones likely to occur on a low
> to medium volume system? I'm doing about 100,000 queries a day on our
> current db server from a variety of websites and would expect this
> volume to double or triple in the next year.

100,000 to 400,000 trans a day should be nothing to any decent database.
This is only about 1 to 4 transactions a second.  I've handled this kind of
load using DBM files with perl.

> My FreeBSD Box is currently DP PIII 500's, but I'll be upgrading it to
> Ghz PIII's before deployment with a gig of RAM, more if needed. My
> current DB server is actually an iMac, it's a long story, with a 400Mhz
> G3 and 512 mb RAM running OS X 10.2 and keeping up quite nicely, so I
> don't imagine the hardware itself will be a limiting factor.
>
> My second question is, if it looks like this will potentially be an
> issue, how does Postgresql perform on FreeBSD. I could use it just as
> easily as MySQL and, from what I've heard, it's a little beefier in
> some aspects. With regards to threading issues, am I likely to be
> happier with Postgresql in the long term?

PostgreSQL is non-threaded so that is a moot point.

PostgreSQL works quite well on FreeBSD under heavy load.  I've got a
system (1,000,000+ rows) that takes 3 to 10 connections a second without
a sweat running on a PIII 800 1000MB SCSI system.  Mind you, this is mostly
insert transactions.

> Our current DB server runs for _MONTHS_ at a time without me even
> having to look at it, so reliability is the key factor in my decision
> process. Moving away from FreeBSD is not an option I'd like to consider
> at the moment, as I'm quite happy with it so far, so I'd like to pick
> the db that likes FreeBSD the best.

I've got automatic monitoring on my high load system to watch my diskspace
and with some of my scripts to delete old data (it monitors a set of web sites
in real time), I forget it's there until the next time someone requests a new
feature.

> Sorry if I just started a holy war, I promise not to ask about Postfix
> v Qmail! :-)
> Tom Wiebe

Hopefully it helps.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek