Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 17:15:20 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        =?KOI8-r?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATA observations in FreeBSD 4.6-RC

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Søren Schmidt wrote:

SS> > 1. PR kern/37060: kernel panic with hw.ata.tags=1 in ata-disk.c:710
SS> >    filed April 14 (five weeks ago)
SS> >
SS> >    The kernel does not boot at all on my machine.
SS> >    This PR has never been replied to, but it's marked as critical with
SS> >    high priority because it's a show-stopper.
SS> >
SS> >    This MUST be fixed before 4.6 RELEASE. If the fix is: disable ATA
SS> >    tagged queueing altogether not only by default, but also ignore
SS> >    hw.ata.tags, so be it.
SS>
SS> This is a known problem (for some) but until now I havn't been able
SS> to reproduce it here at all, and hence have not been able to
SS> work on a fix. The solution would be to make a note in the docs
SS> somewhere that there is potential problems on some HW wtih this..

Well, Soren, I already told I have test box with serial console and
would be very happy to help track these bugs down (actually, I've already
made an account for you there -- so just contact me privately, please ;-)

I realize that at the very moment it would be inappropriate to deep
digging due to RC stage for 4.6. But, sooner or later (and I personally
prefer sooner, you know :) this should be fixed.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]