Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2002 20:50:42 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru>
Cc:        Martin Hasenbein <mh-freebsd-mobile@free.bsd.net>, FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cellular Phone with USB on Laptop

Vladimir B. Grebenschikov wrote:
> χ Mon, 01.07.2002, Χ 12:39, Martin Hasenbein ΞΑΠΙΣΑΜ:
>
>>On Mo  1 Jul (12:12:20) Vladimir B.  Grebenschikov (vova@sw.ru) wrote:
>>
>>Sorry, what do you mean with "USB to COM convertor".
>
> I have mean something like this:
> http://www.usb.org/app/search/products/p/10000608/info
>
>>>see ucom(4).
>>
>>:-/ I don't have such a manpage.
>
> Sorry, I am using -CURRENT
>
> in -STABLE there is umodem driver, it may help if you will get native
> USB cable from motorolla, but not sure that it will helps with COM-USB.

umodem will not help. I've traded some mail with Joe K and he is set to
MFC the ucom series of drivers 'soon'.

However, if you want a USB serial port on -stable today, you can
do-it-yourself MFC ucom yourself easily. Here's how:

1. MFC usbdevs. Look at the top of the file to get the series of
necessary steps.

2. MFC ucom*, uplcom.c and uvscom.c. Edit each one and #if 0 out the
include of <vhone.h>. It is not necessary on -stable.

3. Do one of these two branches:

A. i. edit /sys/conf/files. add these lines:

ucom.c
	optional ucom
uplcom.c
optional ucom uplcom
uvscom.c
optional ucom uvscom

ii. add to /sys/i386/conf/your_kernel_config_file:

device
	ucom
device
	uplcom
device
	uvscom

iii. build your new kernel, install it and reboot.

B. i. cd /sys/modules ; mkdir ucom uplcom uvscom

ii. copy ums/Makefile to ucom, uplcom and uvscom.

iii. edit ucom/Makefile, change every occurance of ums to ucom. Do the
same to uplcom and uvscom, changing ums to uplcom or uvscom as required.

iv. in each new directory, make clean all install. You should now have
/modules/ucom.ko, /modules/uplcom.ko, and /modules/uvscom.ko.

v. kldload ucom.ko; kldload uplcom.ko; kldload uvscom.ko.

4. Plug in a supported USB serial adapter (I recommend the IOGear GUC232A).

5. mknod /dev/cuaU0 c 138 128 ; chown uucp:dialer /dev/cuaU0 ; chmod 660
/dev/cuaU0

6. Go nuts.

Joe tells me he is working on uvisor, a ucom sub-driver to support the
Handspring Visor hotsync cradle and the whole kit and kaboodle will be
MFCed when that's done.

>>>It depends on your phone, if it behave like modem - you will have no
>>>problems.
>>
>>Hmm ... I'll have to try that. It's a Motorola v66 and Motorola
>>says it has a modem built-in.

I have a Motorola i85 and this sequence of events works fine on my Vaio
running -STABLE to dial up to my house. The only thing that sucks is
that the combination of cables required is cumbersome to carry around.