Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 15:35:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        root@ec.camitel.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scanner ?

> > Do you know if a scaner software is avalable for freebsd ( X Window ) I have
> > seen a device driver SCSI that support HP scaner and a device for GS4500
> > GeniScan scanner ?

There is also "asc", a driver for Mustek handheld scanners (Mustek is
the manufacturer, the scanner is sold under several different brand names).

The driver was written (and works very well) with B&W scanners. I kind
of works with color scanners as well, except that I don't know exact
details on the data format produced by the color scanning head.

I sent a fax to Mustek requesting for info, but did not get any reply.
Perhaps somebody on this list has a better chance to get info from them
due to geographical vicinity ? They have a www page

	http://www.mustek.com

One note on scanners in general: be careful, when you buy them, to the
_real_ (optical) resolution. Many product report very high resolutions
which are actually generated by interpolation. As an example, the
above handheld scanners both claim 400 dpi. But the BW model really has
that resolution, while I believe the optical res. of the
color model is only 200 or 133 dpi unit. It makes a big difference when
you are scanning linearts.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/