Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:17:10 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Mitch Vincent <mitch@venux.net>
Cc:        "Lester A. Mesa" <netadmin@primex.prontel.net>, isp@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How many Virtual Hosts?

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 11:32:22AM -0400, Mitch Vincent wrote:
> So the limit mentioned on Apache's site is more of a limit of the number of
> IPs you can bind to any one interface (and the number of per-process file
> descriptors you have).. It's not really a limit of Apache itself.
>
> We're approaching that number (255) on one of our Linux boxes, however we
> use name based vhosting, so it's only one IP we're dealing with.

If you are using multiple logfiles in Apache (rather than
logging to a single file which is then split into multiple files
at a later date/time) you will be holding hundreds of file handles
open for each log that is open, in addition to the file handles
required for the bound sockets.

BTW, there's web servers other than Apache, you don't *have* to
bind individually to each IP address...