Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 11:32:05 -0400
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oddness with NCR53C810

At 01:42 PM 5/26/97 +0200, Stefan Esser wrote:
>The NCR/Symbios SCSI chips are:
>
>810	the original, 8bit, FAST
>810a	improved version of the 810, more efficent on the PCI bus
>815	810 with BIOS support
>860	810a with Ultra-SCSI support
>
>820	810 with support for WIDE SCSI
>825	improved 820 with BIOS support
>825a	improved 825 with on-chip 4KB RAM
>875	825a with Ultra-SCSI support
>876	dual 875
885	multifunction 875 and fast ethernet (10/100)
>895	875 with Ultra-2 support (40MHz sync. + LVD)
>
>The Sym53c876 allows to put two Ultra-WIDE SCSI channels on one PCI
>card, without the need for a PCI to PCI bridge. This is better than
>an Adaptec 3940 with two SCSI chips behind a PPB, since it is cheaper
>and avoids the latency and complexity introduced by the PPB ...

The Sym53c885 uses the same philosophy and puts a Fast Ethernet
and UltraWide SCSI on one PCI chip.  (I'm going to write a driver
for the Fast Ethernet function.)
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message