Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:03:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ulf@Alameda.net, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: Crystal CS4236B and mixer support ?

> Okay, I am redirecting this to -multimedia .
>
> 	Have Fun Guys,
> 	Amancio
>
> > > There is no need for any reverse engineering . All he has to do is
> > > post on the multimedia mailing . Luigi , as well as a few other hackers,
> > > should have the data sheet for the CS4236B.
> >
> > I thought the point of the previous posting was that that particular
> > chip did not have internal amplification circuitry, and that the
> > Windows driver was somehow aware of *external* amplification circuitry
> > that the FreeBSD driver was *not* aware of...

hard to guess what was the subject, but if it is that 'under freebsd
the volume is low' then the answer is that each WSS device implements
master volume control in a different way, and the FreeBSD driver
does not try to find out how for each card. I only bothered to
implement this for the ``easy'' cards, i.e. those where the master
volume register is handled similarly to other WSS registers.
In some other case i just put a couple of lines to set the master
volume to maximum, in other cases i ignored it.

I doubt that on cheap audio cards (most CS423x-based ones fall in this
category) use a digital volume control external to the codec.

	cheers
	luigi