Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 00:04:21 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        rssh@grad.kiev.ua
Cc:        hsu@idiom.com, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, rnordier@iafrica.com
Subject:   Re: ANNOUNCE: TenDRA C/C++ compiler (fwd)

Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:

> Jeffrey Hsu wrote:
>
> > Anyone feel up to a new compiler port?
> >

> Just ported it to SCO Open Server (it's differs from SCO 3 for TenDRA).
>
> [ ...]

I have been using it on a FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE box here for the last two
days.  I haven't checked the C++ side of things, but as a C compiler it's
impressive.

> In principle, porting is not very hard, but few aspects:
>    1.  tcc is POSIX ISO compiler.
>       it mean, that we must modify our includes (i.e. /usr/include/*)
>       to be ISO compliant in case __TCC__, and correct handle some
>      TenDRA specific stuff.
>      or write specific includes for TCC ( which, in generally, very bad)
>      So, if we want to create command for tcc porting, We must have something
>      with commit privelegies.

Actually, no.  One of the main design features of TenDRA is that you
*don't* have to modify system headers (you modify API definitions
instead).  This means you can write (say) SVID3 programs, even if your
libraries aren't particularly SVID compatible.  (I just compiled a
whole bunch of UNIX95 API programs, even though FreeBSD's UNIX95 API
support is rather limited.)

My impression is that the TenDRA compiler is a really important addition
to free software, and deserves a lot of attention from anyone interested
in portability across UNIX systems, or in the various ANSI/ISO, POSIX,
XPG standards ... or just in a very solid, non-GPLed compiler.

--
Robert Nordier