Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:29:34 +0000
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Teaching parents UNIX

In message <010001c18f0f$875d61d0$0a00000a@atkielski.com>, Anthony
Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> writes
>Rod writes:
>
>> WHY?
>
>It's the path of least resistance and least effort.  Why do things the hard
>way when you can do them the easy way?

But an OS with things like file permissions actually does make life
easier.  The biggest problem my mum has with learning about Windows is
that she's scared silly she'll delete something important or get
infected by a virus.

Certainly once I'd set the thing up she'd be a lot more comfortable
playing with something like FreeBSD, she doesn't have any major
requirements or software needs that really tie her to any specific
platform so the only reason she's still using Windows 98 is because my
dad knows enough about Windows to be scared by *BSD.

I have a certain understanding about what I can and can't screw up, but
my mum doesn't, so she's scared of them.  There are two solutions, her
own machine used purely to learn what she's doing, or an OS with user
control and someone to look over the scary parts like software installs.

It's not that hard to set up a machine for a parent to use, probably
just a GUI, browser and mail client, maybe a word processor too, oh, and
a few versions of Solitaire :-)

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk