Date:      23 Apr 2002 10:50:54 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: How should I partition/slice for appliance?

Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:

| Okay. If this is to remain a going thread and on list, then you are going
| to have to fight fair, Ken.
|
| You selectively snipped out this part:
|
|   First, I'm not angry. Second, assuming that I knew all
|   that was going to be installed, where would I find the
|   installed sizes of them so that I could calculate the
|   required disk space?

Uh.  I didn't snip it out to deliberately distort.

| I ran out of disk space during the install.  My fault?  I don't think so.  Do
| you have an answer to the question above?

It's in the Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html

Excerpt:  "A minimal installation of FreeBSD takes as little as 100MB of disk
space.  However, that is a very minimal install, leaving almost no space for
your own files.  A more realistic minimum is 250MB without a graphical
environment, and 350MB or more if you want a graphical user interface.  If you
intend to install a lot of third party software as well, then you will need
more space."

Also:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

Excerpt:  "Partition: a.  Filesystem: /.  Size:  100MB.  This is the root file
system.  Every other filesystem will be mounted somewhere under this one.
100MB is a reasonable size for this filesystem.  You will not be storing too
much data on it, as a regular FreeBSD install will put about 40MB of data here.
The remaining space is for temporary data, and also leaves expansion space if
future versions of FreeBSD need more space in /.

"Partition: e.  Filesystem: /var.  Size:  50MB.  The /var directory contains
variable length files; log files, and other administrative files.  Many of
these files are read-from or written-to extensively during FreeBSD's day-to-day
running.  Putting these files on another filesystem allows FreeBSD to optimise
the access of these files without affecting other files in other directories
that do not have the same access pattern.

"Partition: f.  Filesystem: /usr.  Size:  Rest of disk.  All your other files
will typically be stored in /usr, and its subdirectories."

(None of the examples in the Handbook indicate anything less than a 2 GiB
drive, by the way.)

Now, it's true that the Handbook does not give you the size of, say, an Apache
installation, or X, or whatever.  There are nearly 7000 ports available, and
they all change so often (both themselves, and the ports they depend on) that
there would be no way to keep the Handbook up to date.

Maybe if the ports system ever gets upgraded to include those capabilities, but
here again, the time, always the time. . . .  :)

Anyway, should you find a conflict between the book you have and the online
Handbook, you should probably go with the Handbook.