Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:44:46 +0200
From:      Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange crashes

The last 3 days I've had 3 crashes, the hard way. And no log exist of the
events, so I have no clue to what happened.

First crash occured while I played heavy around with portsupgrade. Suddenly,
reboot without any warnings. That puzzled my quite a bit. Only thing to note,
was that up to the crash portupgraded spewed out a few errors in regard to
SVGA-lib (some checking I think it was, no installing). After reboot same
portupgrade-procedure gave no errors.

Second crash, just upgraded to linux_base-7.1 (shouldn't it install XFree 4.1
instead of 4.0.3?) and wanted to test the GLX-capabilities with linux-q3a
from ports. It didn't, hard crash! ;)

Third crash occured just out of the blue. Only thing out of the ordinary was
that 5-10 minutes earlier Konsole made one of it's rare crashes after some
testing of mplayer (ran it from konsole).

Until now, the only incidents of crashes I can recall, have been when testing
windows-games with wine (never succeeded in that! ;)). That made X (4.0.3)
crash and taking BSD with it.

Kinda sounds like some sort of HW-error like faulty RAM or something. But
wouldn't I then see more errors/crashes? Like in compilations, where I get no
errors?

I've just upgraded to XFree 4.1 recently (1-2 weeks ago) including drm etc.,
and it *could* be the reasons?

Bjarne