Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 09:00:22 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC1323 probs (was Re: odd problem with 2.1R NNTP access)

In article <199609200047.AA189830474@relay.hp.com>, you wrote:
 :
 : The same reason is causing me unable to access www.etinc.com and
 : timeout during smtp session.

This is possible if both boxes are running 2.1R or later (never tried
it with earlier versions)

 :
 : So, does it mean in general the following are true for 2 FreeBSD
 : boxes:
 :
 : 1) Both boxes have tcp_extension enabled and they should talk
 :    happily

This doesnt seem to help.  Actual RTT is important though (see below)

 : 2) Both boxes have tcp_extension disabled and they should talk
 :    happily

This works

 : 3) One has tcp_extension enabled and one disabled and there is
 :    no gurantee of the connection ? I believe etinc.com is
 :    using FreeBSD, but I do get this problem before when I have
 :    the tcp_extension stuff enabled.

This works and is like #2 since the extension isn't used if one side
doesn't have it enabled.

To test whether 1323 is biting you, telnet to the echo port on the
target machine.  An afflicted connection will echo your first line
back quickly but subsequent lines will suffer a 3 or 4 second delay.
Disconnect and set rfc1323=0 and see if the extra delay goes away.

I'd submit a GNAT report on this but it seems the problem is already
known.  (if not maybe one of the cognoscenti could say something and I
will send in the pr) FWIW the problem doesn't show up with
ethernetted hosts, perhaps because the timing granularity is too large
for the delay to be noted.  Unfortunately where the connection is
across something with some delay, likea 110ms RTT slip link, the
problem is consistent and easily replicable.

There also appears to be problems in the RTT handling in non-1323
connections (unrelated except that it involves similar functionality).
If no one else is tackling these right now I'm gonna take a whack at
it.

--
Howard Goldstein   <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>