Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:40:23 -0400
From:      Walter Vaughan <wvaughan@steelerubber.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crash of diablo-amd64 in production system

Alumnivereniging Nederlands wrote:

> I have had a crash of the diablo JVM on an amd64 production server.
> The JVM is running 10 web apps in Tomcat.

> The server has 4GB of memory and is mainly running Tomcat5.5.20 on
> diablo-1.5.0-b01  and Apache2.2.3.

I was seeing similar problems on a dual quad core box that also was running the
above as well as postgreSQL until I took the memory from 4 Gig up to 8 Gig of
memory (the boxes were special priced with only 4 gig of memory is why I tried
it that way). Since moving it up it has been stable as a rock (or rather as the
Ubuntu box sitting next to it) and no longer runs out of memory. I was seeing
even worse problems on Ubunutu X86_64 at 4 Gig of memory so it's not an freeBSD
issue.

  4 Gig is a "Bad Thing" on Intel x86 motherboards because of all the cruft of
the 386 address space layout.