Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 15:11:35 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <Don@PartsNow.com>
To:        Michael Daniel Wolfe <mw0102@cnsvax.albany.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeBSD

I have a legacy copy of Word that I still use on my W95 slice. There is
a program by Applixware for $199 which runs on FBSD (although it's made
for Linux) which is a full office suite comparable to Office. The
company is also making a Java-only version, but I hear it's slower.
There are always going to be things like games and such which you can
only get to work with WinXX; but I'll compare the freeware solutions of
UNIX quite favorably with the $$ products of WinXX. If you are a student
of computing or engineering, I would highly recommend FreeBSD as a
learning/working environment. You can get under the hood!
	A personal history: When everybody else around me was buying
Apple][ machines and playing games and Visicalc, I bought an Intel SDK86
single-board trainer. The most complex game I had was Lunar Lander, but,
I learned enough from the assembly language and hardware experience to
start getting salary jobs (equivalent to an EE level) programming
distributed microcontrollers for cruise missile assembly lines. FreeBSD
is the same kind of learning tool; the comparison is apt.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *