Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:33:57 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        jason@dstc.edu.au
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

I must have missed the attached rant from Will, but let me first just
say this: Forget about Lightning Internet - they're chapter 11 and out
of the picture.  ftp.freesoftware.com, RIP.

All the release engineering team is concerned with at this point is
ftp-master.freebsd.org.  We'll put the bits up on there, wait some
12-24 hours before making the public announcement (to allow some
amount of mirror propagation to take place) and then send out the
announcement.  After that, it's up to the individual mirror
maintainers to ensure that they're either talking to the master site
or to their primary mirror given whichever tier they happen to be in.
There won't be any one person taking charge of all the mirrors, the
mirrors will have to rely on their individual admins to keep things
straight.

As to release dates, I'm still waiting for the security team to green
light the release.  They haven't come back with fixes for all the
issues they highlighted over the weekend.

- Jordan