Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:46:38 -0500
From:      "Lawrence Hughes" <lawrence.hughes@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS:concept quest.on run more than 1 mail server at same time

If I understand you correctly, you want to run redundant, parallel mail
servers that will back each other up (and possibly share the load
when both are running?). This is a somewhat difficult thing to do,
esp. with tools from the late paleolithic period, such as Sendmail
and QPopper. I happen to be creating a secure, scalable mail
server right now (with exactly the high availability you described),
but it is still in development, and will definitely not be freeware.
I am building it on FreeBSD, though.

What you need is multiple SMTP MTA front-end machines (with
load balancing, e.g. DNS round robin), that can relay incoming
messages to one or more back-end message store machines,
and POP/IMAP that know to try connecting to the other one of
a redundant pair if the first one they tries fails. Half of the front-end
POP/IMAP machines can use one of the message store servers
by default, half the other. If either goes down, the POP/IMAP
servers that use that one should automatically switch to the
remaining one. There are some interesting problems with
keeping deletes synchronized between the two message stores,
once the dead one comes back on-line.

Somehow I don't think you're going to be able to do this with
Sendmail & friends.

Lawrence Hughes