Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:38:18 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't startx as non-root [Vanilla Ice is a wrapper]

> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:20:41 -0500 (EST)
> From: Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
> To: mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
> Cc: Jeff Jeter <gsfgf@hotmail.com>,
> 	FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Can't startx as non-root [Vanilla Ice is a wrapper]

> Can someone -=please=- discuss the relative pros and cons of wrapper
> vs xdm (as called from /etc/ttys) vs startx vs the XFree86 binary
> itself vs ~/.xinitrc vs ~/.xsession vs `exec gnome-session` vs `exec
> kde-session` vs committing oneself to a life of command-line-only
> especially after the discovery that w3m kicks the pants *and* panties
> off lynx vs [LASTLY] committing oneself to the nearest local
> institution for the mental defective?

    Well...
    I would most probably use [gkx]dm should I install FreeBSD on my
    mother's machine: it's less typing to login, and you don't see no
    steenking console. For me, it's startx any time. But basically it's
    just a matter of taste IMO.

    As for the .xinitrc vs. .xsession files: one is used by xinit (for
    which startx is a frontend), the latter is used by the various
    display managers: [gkx]dm. Other than that, they serve the same
    purpose.

    I'm afraid I don't understand your question (if there is one) about
    gnome-session vs. kdeinit.

    I run blackbox on xfree86-4.1.0, and the top five applications I
    use are mutt, vim, w3m, and zsh in rxvt terminals. :)

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
6:21PM up 2 days, 2:06, 13 users, load averages: 0.18, 0.10, 0.02