Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 00:49:05 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org>, Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: expat2 in the base system?

On Friday 04 October 2002 00:20, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
[snip]
> > I believe the decision to put expat -in a wise manner- in the base system
> > will show that FreeBSD is keeping up with major movements and that it
> > will make FreeBSD more attractive to potential users.
>
> 	Well, be careful when addressing this part of "potential users".
> What I understood from this thread is that expat is being imported
> to server OUR tools. The tools that lie under src/ CVS repo. Which is
> an interesting move. Whatever might be our concerns/desires with XML.
>
> 	Whichever other tool in the system should depend on the
> ports version, not on OUR expat.
>
> 	But that's what I understood. Actually, it's a good time
> to clear this point out. :)

I interpreted the same as you. But the fact that the base of a UNIX system
uses XML makes that UNIX system more attractive than other unices, IMO.
Potential users are getting more and more XML-savvy. If they would be able to
configure certain base parts of their system using XML instead of SCFF[tm]*
then I would expect them to see that as an advantage. I certainly would :-)

If most file formats would be XML-based (yes I know XML should not replace all
file formats, but it comes a great way) then these formats would be leveraged
by the fact that there are a lot of XML tools available, like XML editors and
XML transformation processors (XSLT). It's easy to convert from one XML
format to the other, making the generation of DocBook or XHTML documents a
/lot/ easier.

If you think I'm dreaming... please don't wake me up ;-)

 [*] Some Complex File Format

Ernst