Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 1996 00:43:16 -0400
From:      Dan Ziegler <yu120560@yorku.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help!

 I'm trying to install FreeBSD...everything was going smoothly 'til it began
to actually copy over the files. Here's my error, perhaps you can translate
it into something resembling english for me :)

 "Failed to load ROOT dist" (which seems relatively straightforward)

 Command line output:

 "gunzip: stdin: invalid compressed data -- format violated /stand /cpio:
premature end of file
DEBUG: Dummy [default] close called for wd0s1 with fd of 6"

<sigh>
I tried re-downloading the root.flp image, but got the same error. I'm
installing from a DOS partition, and my dos dirs are set up the way the
install doc says. What do I need to do/replace??

Dan Ziegler
EMail: yu120560@yorku.ca
Web: http://www.finearts.yorku.ca/dziegler/3rdmnsn.htm